Monday, May 30, 2005

Yay for Coffee!

I learned something about coffee yesterday.
The coffee bush is a tropical evergreen and would naturally grow up to 20-30 feet tall, however, bushes are typically trimmed to 3-7 feet to accommodate hand picking of the cherries. Each coffee cherry produces 2 green beans and it takes approximately 2,000 cherries of 4,000 beans to produce one pound of coffee.

Each coffee bush on average produces approximately 1-2lbs of roasted coffee per year. It takes a young coffee bush 4-5 years to produce it's first crop.

-Coffee Association of Canada

When you factor in the volcanoes, witch doctors, and extreme top secrecy surrounding the Starbucks beans, you can almost understand why their coffee costs so much.

My friend Treena was propositioned by a guy at the hardware store. She told him "My husband does things for me you couldn't even begin to do" I thought that was fantastic. Then I started thinking, what things? Is she referring to the obvious, nice house, he builds stuff, etc. Or does he do other weird, kinky things? Naturally my curiosity is peaked.

3 Comments:

At 2:05 AM, Blogger Ken said...

Candy Trash, so you don't think that those poor children deserve to get paid at all? You are inhuman!!

 
At 1:44 PM, Blogger trixi said...

Good to know. I had no idea what Fair Trade meant! Thanks

 
At 8:12 PM, Blogger Spencer said...

3-7 foot tall children?!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home